Thursday, August 26, 2010

Great Pics of Verrazano Bridge Under Construction

The Eagle published an essay and several photos sent by William Horeis, who grew up in Bay Ridge. As a young man working for some local papers (including a resurrected Brooklyn Eagle), Horeis took some amazing photos of the Verrazano Bridge while it was still under construction in 1963 and '64. He climbed all the way to the top of the Brooklyn tower! (See photo). Click Below.

Bay Ridge Man Remembers Harrowing Photo Shoots Atop Verrazano Bridge


3 comments:

Lidian said...

What an amazing photo! I have just discovered your blog and am looking forward to reading your archives -

I write about NYC (mostly Brooklyn) history at

http://thevirtualdimemuseum.blogspot.com

Senaf said...

I came upon your site looking for information on the Verrazano Bridge as it was under construction. This is an awesome picture! I watched a movie called "Cinderella Man" of James Braddock, the boxer. I found out the steel company who James worked for and later owned were involved with the building of the Verrazano Bridge. I took an interest in finding out more about it and writing a blog. I am writing about NYC, DC, PA, and other states. I am a tour advisor on trips taken or others stories about their trips and information on areas of interest. http://walkingtouradvisor.com/blog/

Megan Payne said...

OMG! Wasn't he afraid of heights? I guess not! That bridge is way too high, and he went on top of it just to take good photos. I'm sure this experience was one of the best he ever had.