Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Multiple Teddy Roosevelts Descend on Downtown Brooklyn


A plethora of TRs were on hand Tuesday for the renaming of the Brooklyn Federal Courthouse in honor of the famous, bespectacled, bearcub-loving, "walk softly and carry a big stick"-saying 26th president of the United States.

Pictured above are Theodore Roosevelt IV and V (great and great great grandsons), who both live in Brooklyn Heights, along with Sen. Chuck Schumer, who must be a big TR fan because he proposed the legislation to have the courthouse renamed. TR portrayer Jim Foote is giving a speech Roosevelt once delivered at the dedication of another courthouse on Long Island.

Teddy Roosevelt has a sad connection to Brooklyn - his first wife and his mother and father are all buried in Green-Wood Cemetery, and his wife and mother actually died on the same day, Valentine's Day of 1884. I don't think this is why the courthouse is named for him, however. Schumer said something about him being a "man of the law." TR did actually serve as police commisioner for New York City for a while (The Alienist, anyone?).

On a slightly more cheery occasion to visit Brooklyn, Roosevelt is pictured below in 1915 inspecting some kind of textile workshop.



Top Photo by Ryan Thompson; bottom photo from Library of Congress via Historic Photos of Brooklyn by John Manbeck

1 comment:

Butchery on Bond Street said...

Phoebe - Your articles are fascinating, and I was very grateful for the extensive coverage that the Eagle gave my first book, "Butchery on Bond Street" last year. I hope to earn the same when my next book is released this coming May, 2009. It's entitled "Call Me Daddy - The Life and Loves of Edward West Browning, New York's Jazz Age Lecher King" and is another Green-Wood Cemetery discovery (where I work as a volunteer archivist for the incomparable Jeff Richman).

I am forthwith putting Brooklyn Before Now on my favorite links list on my main blog, The New York Wanderer, which appears at http://www.new-york-wanderer.blogspot.com, and if you would consider doing the same for me I would be grateful.

Best regards,

Ben Feldman
feldman_benjamin@hotmail.com